Looking for a job as a portrait photographer in Switzerland?
Come and join us! Pep Shot is currently looking for portrait photographers in Luzern, Bern, Lausanne and Geneva. These roles are on a freelance basis. You work on days and at times that you choose, fitting our jobs in around your existing client work.
Our speciality is portrait photography for use online. We focus our efforts on informal headshots and environmental portraits.
We aim to capture people as they really are. With authentic portraits we help our clients to position themselves online to get what they are looking for; be it a new professional challenge, a new partner or new clients for their businesses.
Pep Shot AG was founded in 2015 in Zurich with the intention of expanding the size of the photography market in Switzerland (not cannibalizing the sales of existing photographers). We achieve this by:
- making the process of booking a shoot more efficient for customers
- providing a platform for a select group of up-and-coming photographers
- establishing a niche brand to meet demand for profile pictures
Currently active in five cities, we are now expanding across Switzerland. Our clients are mostly:
- Individuals – typically online daters, job seekers, entrepreneurs or self-employed professionals
- Companies – generally looking for employee portraits for their websites
You love photography and you love people. This makes portrait photography your natural home.
You are absolutely a portrait specialist. You are an expert in outdoor shoots using only natural light, with just occasional use of an on-camera flash.
You are also completely confident working on-location indoors with additional lighting. If you offer another specialism (e.g. event, documentary or product photography) this would be an advantage.
You have great people skills. You can put nervous people at ease, can gain their trust, and give gentle and encouraging direction. You are genuinely interested in what makes different types of people tick and in capturing individuals at their natural best.
You are a fluent Swiss German or German speaker or a fluent French speaker. You are also fluent in English (our internal company language). Other languages are an advantage.
You have the correct permission to work in Switzerland. You are registered, or in the process of getting registered, with SVA or equivalent body as a self-employed person. Alternatively, you have your own registered company.
You live close to the centre of Luzern, Bern, Lausanne or Geneva and know your city well. You have discovered exactly where the best backgrounds, street scenes and light conditions are to be found.
About the Role
These roles would particularly suit a portrait photographer who has recently reached a professional level of competency. She/he is probably still in the process of building up her/his own business and client base. That said, we would obviously welcome interest from more experienced and established photographers also.
What the typical 1:1 portrait shoot involves:
- Bookings are on a job-by-job basis (typically up to 20% per week)
- Package contents, usage rights and prices are fixed
- Shoots usually last between 30 and 90 minutes
- Turnaround time is 3 working days for a pre-defined number lightly edited images
- Most shoots are outside, using only natural light (demand is seasonal and weather dependent)
- Our clients are generally not used to being in front of the camera
Additional opportunities are:
- Employee shoots for business clients
- Documentary shoots for business clients and editorial commissions
- Event photography
- Product shots (lifestyle and pack shots) for online shops and websites
Why work with us?
- If your passion is photography, it is probably not also marketing, finding clients and invoicing. We take care of the business side of things for you with clear processes and a regular monthly payment date.
- If you are self-employed and work alone, it can sometimes be nice to be part of a team, to exchange ideas and be inspired. Pep Shot has that friendly, community feel.
- As you build up your own business and establish your client base, it can be helpful to have additional jobs and income.
- You can fit Pep Shot jobs in around your existing client work. You tell us when you are available and we work to fill your free time slots.
- Our clients have turned out to be lovely people. They are fun to work with, all different and they love what we do. You’ll find it nice to be so appreciated!
But don’t just take our word for it. Franziska, the first photographer we ever recruited, with us from 2015-2018, has this to say:
“Working with Pep Shot was a lucky strike for me! I could learn so much about portrait photography and psychology with every photo shoot. And I met people from all different places, professions and ages. This experience was very important for me as a photographer, not only to improve/deepen the technique but also to refine my personal style.”
And Jasmin, with us still, since 2016 adds that:
“I especially like to shoot outdoors in different locations in the city and be on the move and explore. This is also good for the client: walking around and chatting makes the shooting more fun and relaxed. I think all of us at Pep Shot are similar types of people: energetic, positive and outgoing. It’s very important to me to work with fun people that I like.”
Interested? How to apply
Are you are a fluent Swiss German or German speaker living in Luzern or Bern? Or a fluent French speaker living in Lausanne or Geneva? You think one of these roles this might be just right for you? Fantastic!
Drop firstname.lastname@example.org a line to introduce yourself. Attach a pdf portfolio of your work, with a focus on outdoor and on-location portraits in particular.
We’ll take a look and get back to you as soon as we can. The next step would be a chat over coffee if we think you’d be a good match. We look forward to hearing from you!